People have a strange sense of what to say when they see someone, like me – doing art, sculpting, painting, designing and creating something new. It seems like maybe – (maybe, hah-hah) that people don’t know quite what to say.
So, I wrote down some good ones and here are the best 10 weirdest things people said to me about doing art when they saw me doing it –
- “Cricket, are you still coloring?” – watching me doing a commissioned portrait.
- “Can I get that in blue?” – looking at a painting that took me three months to finish.
- “Is that paint by numbers?” – watching me paint a deer in a large landscape.
- “Go check the box for the directions.” – there isn’t any box it comes in – my paintings, artworks and designs don’t come from a box or a book with directions and there aren’t instructions showing what color goes next or how to get it to look “right”.
- “If you want to have a business making pillows, you have to go buy fabric – you can’t do it online.” – it was funnier at the time than it is now that I think about it.
- “Well, if you don’t like the knife held in the Indian girl’s hand, I can cut that part of the canvas off and then frame it for you.” – said by a framer to one of the collectors of my artworks who was having a disagreement with her husband because he didn’t like the knife in the hand of the girl in the painting and she did.
- “I don’t have time to spend 30 minutes sitting for my portrait, just make it look like me.” – there are no words for this one but it takes weeks to produce the painting, many hours of work and the buyer can’t spend 30 minutes so I can get it right?
- “We paid $5,000 for a portrait that wasn’t even close to this good – it didn’t even look like us, but my parents bought it for us in San Francisco.” – said to me by the buyers picking up their commissioned wedding portrait 36″ x 48″ in oils who only paid $200 for it because “nobody knows who you are, Cricket”.
- “Well, if it was me, I’d do it like this” – from a multitude of people who had never painted a portrait, landscape, seascape, floral or with oil paints ever – or with artist pastels, or watercolors, or any of a thousand other mediums and techniques I’ve learned to use over the years. Gotta love em though.
- “If you were any good, you’d have sold everything you ever painted, so you must not be any good.” – it isn’t pouring concrete, or automatically seen by anyone simply because I create something artistic, paint an artwork, design, sculpt or make a stained glass piece I designed. There are people who specialize in sales because it is an entire skill set, which I have learned and studied, practiced and practiced without becoming good at them.
- “Can you paint that on my wall?” Of course they don’t want to pay you more than a few hundred (if you are lucky) for making that 24″ x 36″ oil painting into a 10′ x 11′ wall piece.
Okay, so it was 11 weirdest things people have said to me about art while I was creating art, (and designs). Although, if I thought about it a bit, there are hundreds of those weird things people have said considering I’ve worked in this field for (how long do I admit to?) – well, never mind.
- cricketdiane, 01-31-2018